Re: 4.3 rebase in F23 updates-testing

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Eric Griffith <egriffith92@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2016 15:03, "Josh Boyer" <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Mattia Verga <mattia.verga@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>> > So, is it safe to install kernel 4.3.3-300? I see it's now in stable
>> > repo,
>> > but I think it doesn't carry the commit above...
>>
>> The commit above isn't in any released kernel, Fedora or upstream or
>> otherwise.  It was only added to the main btrfs maintainer's tree
>> about a day ago.
>>
>> As far as I understand the bug, it only happens if you have the
>> bootloader installed in the root partition (not a separate /boot) and
>> you run an fstrim on the whole partition (fstrim /) either manually or
>> from a system script or such.  I suppose it would possibly happen if
>> you have the bootloader installed in a btrfs /boot partition and ran
>> fstrim on that too.  However, Fedora doesn't support booting from a
>> btrfs filesystem at the moment and typical installs create a separate
>> /boot partition that is ext4.  I may have some details wrong and would
>> gladly be corrected if so.
>
> Can confirm. Just head to reinstall an F23 system. Automatically generated
> partitions (Encrypted btrfs raid0) gave me an ext4 /boot

It takes a lot of gymnastics to get Fedora into this situation, and it
can't be done via the GUI installer and maybe not even with kickstart.
Whereas on openSUSE, where the bug was found, it's their default
layout at install time. First they don't step on the bootloader in LBA
0 by default, and new installs use parted's jump code. So no matter
what, the MBR bootloader code jumps to the VBR of the partition with
an active bit set. The Btrfs VBR is huge, 64KiB, which is why it's
supported as a GRUB bootloader pad, and that's where openSUSE embeds
GRUB whether on MBR or GPT disks.

So anyone with a 92 ways to boot Linux wall poster needs to update it to 93.

--
Chris Murphy