Re: is there a reason for starting zookeeper.service in background?

On Tue, 12.01.16 19:37, Reindl Harald (h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >That said, of course, this is not obvious at first, hence since quite
> >some time "systemctl stop" will actually explain this to you: if you
> >stop a daemon, but leave its socket running, then you'll get a
> >friendly message telling you about this, and suggesting you the right
> >command line to terminate the socket too.
>
> as soon as you are able to print out such a "friendly message" you are also
> able to imply it automatically

Well, sure, but that's something we don't want to do, as people should
be able to stop units and their triggering units separately and
individually.

I'd be willing to take a patch that adds a new job mode though, that
recursively includes stop/start jobs for all triggering
units. i.e. "systemctl --job-mode=triggering foo.service" or so. That
would certainly be a useful enhancement, but should not be the
default.

> >I am pretty sure this makes a lot of sense the way it is, and is
> >sufficiently well self-explanatory.
>
> no, it violates the prnciple of least surprise and that won't change

Well, let's agree to disagree on this one.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat