Re: is there a reason for starting zookeeper.service in background?

On 11/01/16 21:19, Christopher wrote:

I'm a co-maintainer for ZooKeeper, and I'd like to help get this right,
if possible. More importantly, I'm interested in setting a precedent for
Java system services in systemd. So, forgive my ignorance, but what
exactly is the generally recommended way of launching Java-based
applications as system services in systemd? Is there a good model to
follow? A Java service that gets this right?

Also, as I understand it, Java processes don't really fork in any way
that's useful here. The JVM has it's own internal threading model. So,
what's the best way for them to play nice with systemd? Should they all
be simple? Or should they all be launched by a shell script which
implements the double-forking paradigm? If the latter, wouldn't that add
a lot of complication that systemd is designed to eliminate with the
simplicity of writing units?

What about a simple JNI wrapper to sd_notify(3)? Shouldn't be hard, gives the process a chance to actually signal when its' ready.

Cheers!

--alec