Re: F24 System Wide Change: Suds Jurko Fork

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:01 AM, Jan Kurik <jkurik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: Suds Jurko Fork =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Suds_Jurko_Fork
>>
>> Change owner(s):
>> * Scott Talbert <swt AT techie DOT net  >
>>
>> Change the python-suds package to use the fork maintained by Jurko Gospodnetić.
>>
>> == Detailed Description ==
>> Suds is a SOAP-based web service client for Python which is currently
>> packaged in Fedora as python-suds. This change proposal aims to update
>> the python-suds package to use the fork maintained by Jurko
>> Gospodnetić. Currently Fedora has the original version of Suds which
>> has not been maintained or updated since 2011. The original version
>> does not support Python 3.
>>
>> == Scope ==
>> Proposal owners:
>> * Update existing python-suds package to suds-jurko and ensure it
>> builds/works in Rawhide. (NOTE: proposal owner is not currently the
>> maintainer of python-suds, but would intend to assume maintainership
>> as part of this change.) The plan is to use the latest hg snapshot of
>> suds-jurko.
>
> Has the current python-suds maintainer been contacted about this
> change directly?  If so, did they have an opinion on it?

Chandan did contact him a while ago and I confirm that he did not
receive any answer.
Since maintainer is inactive for a while, I was thinking about doing
the update as provenpackager after a reasonable delay.

>> * In conjunction with the python-suds dependent package maintainers,
>> help test dependent packages to ensure they work correctly with the
>> new package.
>>
>> Other developers:
>> * For maintainers of packages that depend on python-suds: test the
>> dependent packages to ensure they work correctly with the updated
>> python-suds package. No changes should be needed as the Jurko fork is
>> believed to maintain compatibility with the original Suds.
>
> Can someone actually check this for compatibility instead of just believing?
>
> josh

Compatibility has been tested extensively by OpenStack, suds-jurko is
the current recommend fork of suds as upstream is unmaintained.
It is mostly bugfixes + more tests (and I hope that new package will run them)

suds-jurko upstream maintainer did a good job documenting the changes
and his fork is based upon latest revision from suds which is already
4 years old.

Regards,
H.