Re: F24 Self Contained Change: Koji Generates Repositories of Signed RPMs

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 21:28:17 -0500
Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015, at 06:08 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > Well, to be clear, I still think it's good to sign packages...
>
> Yes, but just signing packages but allowing attacker-controlled
> metadata has various issues detailed in the papers linked
> from http://theupdateframework.com/
> (Mostly forcing the client to install a signed but old/vulnerable
>  package, particularly bad for network server packages)

Sure, but we aren't allowing attacker-controlled metadata, it's still
using a well known ssl cert, which... (see below)

> > Sure, but it's also a chicken and egg problem.
> >
> > If you start from just having windows or something you don't have
> > our gpg keys either and have to either trust the https page to
> > download them or some gpg keyserver.
>
> We were just talking about the rpm-md (yum) repos, right?
> I wouldn't really expect a Windows user to validate those,
> this is just something mostly where we set up our
> tools post-OS install to validate.

No, I meant someone who starts out installing our OS.
How do they know the gpg key that they get is the real valid one?

Right now, they use... a well known ssl cert to download the OS over
https. Just like the metalinks that they would download later.

> So rpm-md repo signatures are desirable.  (And same for
> the ostree repo side)

Well, it changes it from having to use a ssl cert once (to download the
initial OS) to using it all the time (downloading metalinks/updates),
which I suppose reduces the ssl cert issue, but does not get rid of it.

kevin