Re: F24 Self Contained Change: Koji Generates Repositories of Signed RPMs

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015, at 04:58 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Also, repo signing doesn't really get us anything does it?

I believe you have stated previously that because the metalink fetch
is protected by TLS which chains to sha256sums, and hence
GPG is not necessary, I would say it's not the same thing.

I think GPG signatures are stronger because they're effectively "key pinned".

Weaknesses in the CA ecosystem are well documented, e.g.
https://lwn.net/Articles/664385/
And command line clients like yum/dnf/rpm-ostree/lorax etc. are
actually weaker than browsers in that there's no support for
the work that protects browsers like HPKP etc.

GPG also works offline/statically.

But we could also set up key pinning for repo-md clients as well of
course.  (And I would still like this for ostree clients for Atomic Host
as well)