Re: DNF could improve messages about package auto-removal

On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 09:02 +0100, Petr Spacek wrote:
> On 1.12.2015 08:20, Dan Book wrote:
> > I have run into this before and it was very confusing, it really should be
> > a separate command from remove for when you actually want to remove what
> > dnf thinks is now "unused".

 In yum autoremove is that command ("autoremove foo" does the remove and
forces clean_reqs... on), dnf dropped that feature of autoremove though.

> Maybe it would help if these auto-removed packages are clearly marked as such
> in summary printed by DNF.
>
> Currently the output looks like this:
> $ dnf remove ekiga
> Dependencies resolved.
> Removing:
>  ekiga                 x86_64 4.0.1-17.fc22   @fedora   19 M
>  evolution-data-server x86_64 3.16.5-1.fc22   @updates  14 M
>  geocode-glib          x86_64 3.16.2-1.fc22   @fedora  160 k
>  gnome-online-accounts x86_64 3.16.4.1-1.fc22 @updates 4.0 M
>  libgdata              x86_64 0.17.3-1.fc22   @updates 1.7 M
> ... and so on
>
> It would be easier to understand if it printed:
>
> $ dnf remove ekiga
> Dependencies resolved.
> Removing:
>  ekiga                 x86_64 4.0.1-17.fc22   @fedora   19 M
> Removing unused dependencies:
>  evolution-data-server x86_64 3.16.5-1.fc22   @updates  14 M
>  geocode-glib          x86_64 3.16.2-1.fc22   @fedora  160 k
>  gnome-online-accounts x86_64 3.16.4.1-1.fc22 @updates 4.0 M
>  libgdata              x86_64 0.17.3-1.fc22   @updates 1.7 M
>
> ... and so on

 That helps, but then what? The user understands (s)he now has to find
out how to fix it, and they have two options:

  1) Some magic command to mark some/all of the unused deps. as used,
     and repeat as necessary the next time you hit this.

  2) Change the config. from the current gamble of save $0.0001 of disk
     space on the upside, and hopefully only annoy the user a bit on the
     other.

 And that's assuming people read the transaction properly, every time
they install or upgrade anything.
 This option works just as well in yum as it does in DNF, just with a
better default. Also I often see people recommending changing the
default in yum in #fedora-devel ... maybe, just maybe, yum chose the
right default and the users aren't wrong?