Re: [RFC] DistGit Container Image namespacing for Layered Image Build Service

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Adam Miller
<maxamillion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If we were to go with the former rather than the latter, we would need
> to find a way to "namespace" container images so they can be
> determined as different. I've thought about this a lot and I worry
> about defining a namespace by some alphanumberic sequence because I
> just know that at some point there will end up being a piece of
> software in the ecosystem that we want to package as a rpm that will
> share this pattern and result in problematic filtering. We could
> accept that risk and simply say "this sequence is a reserved word" or
> use a special character as the leading character in a DistGit
> repository name to signify that it is a container.

git repositories normally use '/' to separate namespaces, so i'd propose

$ fedpkg clone containers/cockpit

and maybe add support for

$ fedpkg clone srpms/cockpit

at the same time.

This has the added benefit that cgit will automatically filter docker
reposistories when you visit, e.g,

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/containers/

--Ray