Re: DNF is completly unable to act with local packages

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 08:13:04 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:

> > "local update" used to work like that but it was requested to change
> > this behaviour and we made it consistent with "remote update" [1].
> > You probably want to use `dnf install *.rpm` as Matthew pointed out.
> [...]
> > it allows the user to install the package by `dnf install <local_pkg>`
> > regardless the version - continuation of bug 1138700 (where the
> > original bug could not be reproduced).
>
> Cool. I wonder how this could be better documented. Maybe it would make
> for a use case at http://dnf.readthedocs.org/en/latest/use_cases.html?
> (Or, a FAQ note?)

Not sure yet what is cool about that.

Since you can point the program at local packages as well as things to
fetch from remote repositories, it would be cool, if the tool were smart
enough to do the right thing, regardless of whether you run "dnf update …"
or "dnf install …".

The former failing to handle local packages whereas the latter would
happily update already installed packages, would be very confusing.

Compared with that, "rpm -Uvh …" installs what's not installed yet.
And "rpm -Fvh …" is the special case where you only want to apply
updates, but not install any new package.

The user explicitly asks the tool to do something, so why would the
tool refuse to serve the user unless it detects any problem?