Re: Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

On 11 November 2015 at 14:10, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 11.11.2015 um 21:54 schrieb Reindl Harald:
>>

>> Am 11.11.2015 um 21:20 schrieb Fred New:
>>>
>>> On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 6:03 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>     any system not older than 10 years has SSE3 and frankly systems
>>>     older than 10 years are hardly a traget for Fedora at all
>>>
>>> On the other hand, my >10 year-old 32-bit system (Fedora 22) is the only
>>> place my LaserJet 4L printer works. My 64-bit systems drop control
>>> sequences (like they don't flush the output buffer), leaving the last
>>> page of every job sitting in printer memory. I reported the bug a few
>>> years ago, but it got closed as WONTFIX and now I can't find it in
>>> bugzilla
>>

>> we talk about a *bleeding edge distribution*
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_LaserJet_4#4L_and_4P
>> "The LaserJet 4 series was discontinued in the 1990s"
>>
>> why in the world does somebody install a operating system released in
>> 2015 to drive harwdare realeased 10-15 years ago and *why in the world*
>> should recent hardware feautures ignored forever because of users with
>> such hardware?
>>
>> you CAN NOT HAVE both - leading edge software and legacy support forever
>>
>> that's the same disucssion as others have with "my PHP crap don't work
>> with anything above PHP 5.2 so why can't i have newest software *but
>> not* recent PHP
>

> and to make it clear:
>
> when you and the other 5 users think they can demand support for ancient

Harald, he didn't demand anything. He just stated what he was using
and why. You need to back the angry sysadmin a bit :). Save it for
when someone wants to know why they can't get their Leading Edge i386
to work with Fedora anymore and what the developers are going to do
about it or else he will post nasty notes to slashdot.

> hardware forever because these days cheap hardware is too much cost i tell
> you that my lifetime for adpot a ton of regressions cuased by replacing
> perfect fine working software with half baken replacements is *much more*
> worth because you can buy reasonable hardware, i can't buy additional
> lifetime wasted over the last years by braindead software decisions
>

> --

Stephen J Smoogen.