Re: DNF is completly unable to act with local packages

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 13:20:03 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

Error: nothing provides rpm-libs(x86-64) = 4.13.0-0.rc1.5.fc23 needed

0.rc1.5.fc23 ???

*sigh*  My motivation to do package reviews is hurt a lot by bad examples
like that. It's as if some people put a lot of effort into trying to ignore
the packaging guidelines:

   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Pre-Release_packages

  => 0.5.fc1.fc23  is what it's supposed to be

Why apply the pre-release versioning scheme, if another scheme works, too?
This time even in the RPM package itself. Explain that to new packagers!
All you can do is tell them that there are packaging guidelines and
pitfalls, and that some people hate the guidelines.

Hmm, I've been "guilty" of doing this in the past, whether the current version is just using precedent from the changelog or knowingly picked I dont know.

Frankly I didn't even realize the 0.rc1.X scheme was against the guidelines since to me this is the (obviously) correct way to do it with predictable pre-release names (its predictable when you're the one doing the upstream tarballs), where the versioning goes like this:

0.beta1.1
0.beta1.2
0.beta1.3
0.beta2.1
0.beta2.2
0.rc1.1
0.rc1.2
[...]
0.rc1.5
0.rc2.1
1 (for the final)

The scheme in guidelines of course works no matter what wacko names-of-pet-ponies versions upstream tarballs may have, but to me its "wrong" in the sense the release number doesn't get reset between version changes. Not that I'm defending going against the guidelines or arguing for changing it (I'm way too old to get involved in THAT again), just explaining where this particular offense in case of rpm probably originates from. Feel free to consider it as an apology for setting a bad example.

	- Panu -