Re: Browser choice in live images

Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> I miss QtWebKit. :(
>
> For those not familiar with the history, QtWebKit was deleted from the
> upstream WebKit project about three years ago after the maintainers
> said they no longer had the resources to continue maintaining it
> upstream. It now lives on KDE.org but it's based on an ancient WebKit
> revision.

It actually lives at qt.io, and is deprecated there. Qt 5.5 is the last
release series that includes it. Qt 5.6 will no longer include it in the
tarballs. (We will likely keep QtWebKit 5.5 or a git snapshot available,
similarly to how this is done with webkitgtk 2.4, but security updates will
be limited to what we can backport ourselves.)

The situation for Konqueror is even worse because it is stuck on Qt 4 (but
then again, the Qt 5 QtWebKit is not significantly more modern than the Qt 4
one (we ship the unofficial "QtWebKit 2.3" release branch for Qt 4, which
matches what early Qt 5 shipped)).

> I don't know what the security story is there, but I imagine
> not good, and I guess that's why you switched to Firefox?

The reasons they switched (I was against it) include that, and compatibility
with some websites. The big issue is that Firefox does not integrate at all
into KDE Plasma. I think Fedora KDE should really have sat out that one
release cycle on Konqueror and targeted QtWebEngine for F24.

> Now bundling is allowed, you can bring in QtWebEngine, and try porting
> Rekonq to use that. It's sad to be forced to switch to Chromium
> bundleland, but Chromium works well and comes with a top-class sandbox,
> so Rekonq would immediately become about 3252389724x more secure than
> Firefox or Epiphany. Unless you're willing to use QtWebEngine, I see no
> future for Qt-based web browsers. :/

QtWebEngine is definitely the plan for F24. The most likely browser
candidate (if Konqueror and/or Rekonq don't get a sudden revival of upstream
activity) is probably Qupzilla, which already has experimental QtWebEngine
support, and which has some amount of KDE integration. (It uses Qt, it
should get KDE file dialogs through the KDE/Plasma Qt platform plugin, it
explicitly supports KWallet through the QtKeychain abstraction.)

        Kevin Kofler