Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-10-07)

On 2015-10-13, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> > 2 distributions add slightly different versions of the same functionality
>> > -> incompatible
>>
>> I said that carrying more feature patches makes it "more likely" that
>> packages from other distros will work, not "100% certain" (which is
>> obviously not possible when there are incompatible versions of the same
>> patchset floating around).
>>
>> > Application compiled on Fedora using the new features -> doesn't work on
>> > other distribution
>>
>> And that's not a problem for OUR users, only for those of the other
>> distribution. So why would that be ours to worry about?
>
> That's a problem for OUR users because when they use Fedora, they want to be
> able to make a tarball of their software for their friend on Ubuntu to test.
> Here, you're making Fedora a bad choice for developers that want to target
> more than just Fedora.

If you exchange Fedora and Ubuntu, you will get the same valid
statement. This is not about Fedora or Ubuntu. It's about you don't like
diverse world where distributions differ. I have a good news for you:
There are different operating sytems where executing foreign blobs is
standard practice because there is exactly one distribution of the
operating system.

-- Petr