Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-10-07)

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 11:38:30AM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 10/09/2015 10:27 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 09:46:11AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> >> Of course it doesn't scale... unless someone has figured out some magic
> >> dust to make software bug free and always secure and always integrated,
> >> there needs to be people supporting all those parallel installed things
> >> and making sure they are secure/bugfixed/integrated.
> >>
> >> So, the barrier is then that if you need/want a compat package, you
> >> must commit to maintaining it, or convince someone else to.
> >
> > Debian seems to have solved this problem in a much nicer way: multiple
> > major versions of shared libraries can be installed in parallel, and
> > manual work is not required, the version of the library is included
> > in the binary package name.
>
> When you say that no manual work is required, for whom do you mean?  Is the
> packaging handled automatically as well?
Depends what you mean by automatically: debian packaging requires
lots of manual steps. In case of an so bump the version string has to
be updated in various places in the debian/control file. I presume
that most people do search&replace on the file.

> > Fedora sets this bar very high: a separate review, slightly different
> > guidelines, so nobody bothers except for special cases.
>
> I suspect the case brought up by Adam wouldn't be helped by this - as I expect
> it wouldn't have been a major version update to cairo.  Even minor updates can
> trigger issues, and supporting parallel installation of the same sonames I
> could image would be very tricky.

Yeah, sounds like it wouldn't help in this case.

Zbyszek