Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-10-07)

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 09:46:11AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 17:05:00 +0200
> Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > This does not scale unfortunately ... and it is common excuse to not
> > support it properly. IOW, I want to have package foo-1.0 installed
> > side by side with foo-2.0 and I don't want to have foo1-1.0 side by
> > side with foo-2.0. And this applies especially for packages which are
> > designed to not conflict by design.
>
> Of course it doesn't scale... unless someone has figured out some magic
> dust to make software bug free and always secure and always integrated,
> there needs to be people supporting all those parallel installed things
> and making sure they are secure/bugfixed/integrated.
>
> So, the barrier is then that if you need/want a compat package, you
> must commit to maintaining it, or convince someone else to.

Debian seems to have solved this problem in a much nicer way: multiple
major versions of shared libraries can be installed in parallel, and
manual work is not required, the version of the library is included
in the binary package name.

Fedora sets this bar very high: a separate review, slightly different
guidelines, so nobody bothers except for special cases.

Zbyszek