Re: Why packages sources are NOT mirrored?

On 09/17/2015 07:26 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> And to pre-answer something that might be related, there is no budget to
> put this into a CDN. Those are extremely expensive operations and do not
> volunteer space.

Some of them do, for Debian at least.  But I don't know what has
happened to early attempts in that direction, lack of IPv6 support was a
bit of a dealbreaker back then.

The problem I see is that CDNs are only work well if you use popular
resources because unlikely mirrors, local nodes are not preseeded with
content almost no one ever downloads.  So getting a SRPM or source
tarball from a CDN will likely trigger a local cache miss and a sluggish
CDN-internal download.

For my needs and my network location, the Fedora (and CentOS and Debian)
mirror infrastructure offers significantly better performance than
cdn.redhat.com.