Freeimage 3.10 -> 3.17 upgrade, dealing with library incompatibility

Hello

I'm looking at updating freeimage from 3.10 to 3.17, also to resolve CVE-2015-0852, and I'm wondering how to deal with the following situation:

- The package ships two libraries, libfreeimage (C API) and libfreeimageplus (C++ wrapper) - abi_compliance_checker reports that compatibility was not broken between libfreeimage of 3.10 and 3.17. However, in libfreeimageplus, various function signatures have changed due to switching from WORD (aka unsigned short) to unsigned for various size related parameters. The soname was not changed, so this is an upstream error.

So, I see the following options:
- Contact upstream and wait for them to resolve the issue. Could take some time - Patch the C++ API to restore compatibility with 3.10 (i.e. change unsigned back to WORD) as a short-term solution, contact upstream and notify them about the issue. - Nothing in Fedora seems to require libfreeimageplus, so just build 3.17 in rawhide and F23 and have the libfreeimageplus ABI break silently sneak in. Probably shouldn't even mention this option. - Change library versioning from using libfreeimage{plus}.MAJOR to libfreeimage-%{version} (i.e. as in libtool -release vs -version-info), requiring rebuilds whenever freeimage is updated.

I'm leaning towards the second option. Other opinions?

Thanks,
Sandro