Re: Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Am 12.09.2015 um 16:36 schrieb Orion Poplawski:
Okay, I grant you the loss of central management thing and that sucks.
But I'm afraid it may become a fact of life.

As for versions, at least with pip and gem you can request specific
versions to be installed.  These tools are very much designed for
repeatable installs with specific version requirements.  That's why so
many upstreams insist on people using them - because they want you to
have the same versions they test with.

And heck, with the stream of Fedora updates, you can also get different
versions using yum/dnf

heck i don't because any production machine only sees the internal repos

why should i waste time and ressources on my side as well as on the mirrors having 30 machines downloading their stuff from the internet and risk they hit different mirrors with different states?

[root@buildserver:~]$ cat /buildserver/repo-cache.sh
#!/usr/bin/bash
basearch=`uname -i`
releasever=`rpm -q --qf "%{version}\n" fedora-release`
for g in `ls -1b /var/cache/yum`
do
 if [ -d /var/cache/yum/$g/packages ]
 then
  echo "/var/cache/yum/$g/packages/ > /repo/cache/fc$releasever/"
sudo mv --verbose /var/cache/yum/$g/packages/*.rpm /repo/cache/fc$releasever/ 2> /dev/null
 fi
done
/buildserver/repo-create.sh

when i type "distribute-updates.sh" or "distribute-install.sh
meta-package" i can be 100% sure in which state the destination ends

Yeah, it sucks when your workflow breaks, it really does and I feel your
pain here.  However it seems that much of the focus has shifted from
maintaining installs over the years to being able to spin up new systems
to a given spec quickly.  Long ago I shifted away from doing upgrades to
using kickstart + (cfengine -> puppet -> ansible) to do fresh installs
of systems to given specifications.  I've found this much more
maintainable, and even faster.

impossible in case of many complex setups