Re: SSL cert/key location

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Farkas Levente wrote:
Indeed, I always wondered why the certificates had been put under
/usr/share/ssl and by whom. The FHS had been quite strict on this from
the very beginning.

/etc seems a rather sane place. Perhaps /etc/ssl/?

You'll need to modify OpenSSL to handle multiple "default" directories.
Currently I think you can only specify a single directory for certs (the
certs setting under the CA_default section in openssl.cnf).
Applications use OpenSSL calls to validate the cert chain, so it'll need
to look in the local directory (/etc/ssl/certs) first and then the other
directory (/usr/share/ssl/certs) when walking the cert chain.  The crl

why we need /usr/share/ssl/ at all? /etc/ssl would be enough (as one directory)!

Because it may not be able to change all the apps and libraries at once which put stuff or expect to find stuff in /usr/share/ssl ?