Re: SSL cert/key location

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

Indeed, I always wondered why the certificates had been put under
/usr/share/ssl and by whom. The FHS had been quite strict on this from
the very beginning.

/etc seems a rather sane place. Perhaps /etc/ssl/?

You'll need to modify OpenSSL to handle multiple "default" directories.
Currently I think you can only specify a single directory for certs (the
certs setting under the CA_default section in openssl.cnf).
Applications use OpenSSL calls to validate the cert chain, so it'll need
to look in the local directory (/etc/ssl/certs) first and then the other
directory (/usr/share/ssl/certs) when walking the cert chain.  The crl

why we need /usr/share/ssl/ at all? /etc/ssl would be enough (as one directory)!