Re: openmpi/python-related problems in epel7 ppc buildroot

On 08/20/2015 10:08 AM, Dave Love wrote:
> Orion Poplawski <orion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Do you mean it's up to me to debug it?  I don't think it's reasonable to
>>> try to without direct access to the buildroot, and I wouldn't be able to
>>> fix it anyhow.
>>
>> Who else is it going be up to?  :)
>
> It doesn't seem reasonable for someone who just wants to push a package
> to debug the buildroot, just by submitting build requests, and then try
> to get someone to fix it.  [Obviously I was getting mixed up with
> different things in fedora and epel7, for which the openmpi maintainer
> is presumably Red Hat.]
>
>> BTW - I think it's ppc64, not ppc64le.
>> See
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/PowerPC#PPC_Shell_access_for_debugging
>> for access to ppc64 hardware for testing.
>
> If you mean that the openmpi package is just broken in epel7-ppc64, then
> presumably we should just exclude it from packaging.

openmpi is clearly not completely broken on epel7-ppc64.  Many packages have
been built for it and appear to run fine.

>> I'm happy to help out as well, but
>> first I would get the openmpi folks take on it.  They are very helpful.
>
> I know the sort of thing they'll say, and if it was happening on a
> system I adminned, I'd just debug it, but then I'd have proper access.
>
> In case it's not clear,
>
>   %_openmpi_load
>   mpirun -np 1 date
>
> fails because the orted won't start, as above
> <https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=10766333&name=build.log&offset=-4000>.
> It isn't a problem for any other target as far as I can tell.

A quick google search on the error message got me to the right place.  We need
to have openssh installed for openmpi (particularly older versions like in
el7) to run.  Work around is to add:

BuildRequires: openssh-clients

And it isn't a ppc64 only issue, you'll see the same on x86_64.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion@xxxxxxxx