Re: Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

On 08/11/2015 02:04 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 11.08.2015 um 23:00 schrieb Mustafa Muhammad:
>>
>> On Aug 11, 2015 11:29 PM, "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > Am 11.08.2015 um 22:18 schrieb Mustafa Muhammad:
>>  >>
>>  >>  > If I knew Mozilla's Linux binaries provided its own update mechanism
>>  >>  > and notification, yes I would do exactly that.
>>  >>
>>  >> I am pretty sure they get updated just like Windows and OS X binaries,
>>  >> but the tar ball should be extracted in a user writable location
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > nonsense
>>  >
>>  > *if* you use binary tarballs they *should not* be extracted in a user
>> writeable location as *no binary* whenever possible should have
>> permissions allowing a ordinary user to change them
>>  >
>>  > they should be extracted to /usr/local/ with root-only
>> write-permissions and you have to just start the application as root for
>> updates - not only on Linux, on *any* operating system
>>  >
>>  > and since most users are not able to cope with this security
>> principals package managers exists
>>  > _________________________________________
>>  >
>>  > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO/file-security.html
>>  >
>>  > World-writable files, particularly system files, can be a security
>> hole if a cracker gains access to your system and modifies them.
>> Additionally, world-writable directories are dangerous, since they allow
>> a cracker to add or delete files as he wishes
>>
>> My home is not world writable
>
> you still don't get it
>
> if you are running whatever application and *you have write permissions*
> from the moment a remote exploit is sucessful your home *is world
> writable* - period

I think you're mixing terminology.

"World-writable" is often used referring to the S_IWOTH flag, where
"others" (vs. user/group) have write permission.  I believe that's what
your linked tldp article is talking about.

You seem to be talking about literally anyone in the world using a
remote exploit, gaining the permissions of a user account, and then they
can write home.  It's still only writable by that user id, barring new
chmods, but the user account itself is compromised.