Re: Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Gerald B. Cox <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

Meanwhile, on OS X I was already given notification of Firefox being
updated to 40.0.0 just a bit ago. And while I see Firefox 40.0 in
koji, there are no Bodhi entries for it, so it's not in any repo.

So I don't really buy any of the security arguments of either "no
bundled libraries" or the FF exception to it. The delay appears to be
packaging itself. Mozilla produces an OS X and Windows specific
packages, and they update themselves rather than going through the OS
update system. This doesn't happen on Linux, where it's expected
Firefox gets updated by the distro repo and packaging system. Yet I
see a Linux tar.bz2 for Firefox at downloads.mozilla.org so I wonder
why that binary doesn't just run unmodified anywhere and I'm waiting
for 40.0 to show up in Bodhi?

--
Chris Murphy