Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-07-01)

On Tue, 2015-07-07 at 08:54 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> > For Fedora 24, we've proposed trimming down Anaconda much more,
> > since
> > most of Anaconda's functionality is redundant with our initial
> > setup
> > tool that already handles language, keyboard, and timezone
> > selection: h
> > ttps://listman.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2015
> > -June/msg00007.html
>
> Unless the installer is not going to ask any questions or give any
> information, language and keyboard are needed for input/output during
> install.

We actually need to ask for language/keyboard layout before ever
starting the installer. Currently the live environment is English
language and US keyboard layout, and good luck figuring out how to
change that (you need to open System Settings and navigate through the
English UI) unless you're already familiar with Fedora. So Anaconda is
actually too late to configure these.

> Installing the system without configuring the clock can lead to
> booting
> into a system with files that were written in the future, not being
> able
> to join network authentication systems, and confusing/invalid install
> logs.

I think our plans for time are hazier. We can normally use NTP to try
to fix the clock if it's in the future, but if NTP is unavailable (it's
blocked, or there's no network access...) then maybe we should show the
timezone panel in the installer after all. (For that to work well,
Anaconda would need to learn how to tell gnome-initial-setup not to run
timezone selection.) You can always change the clock and timezone with
System Settings regardless, so it's just the same discoverability issue
that we want to fix with language and keyboard layout, except in this
case we'd rather not prompt until after the installation if we can
avoid it.

Michael