Re: GNOME captive portal helper (was Re: F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver)

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What would dnssec-trigger do if an attacker^Wlegitimate hotspot provider
> > deliberately let the hotspot probe lookup and connection through, but kept
> > redirecting everything else?
>
> Detect it and show the sandboxed browser.  If that means that the user
> has to type their Facebook password again, then the user is welcome to
> do that.  I don't see why we should make it easier to track users,
> though.

That’s what dnssec-trigger ideally _should_ do. What would it _actually_ do, e.g. with the current code?

> Or we could proxy all traffic through the giant hole they'll create in
> order to avoid being detected as a captive portal.  /me ducks
Nice ☺  More realistically, we could proxy the DNS fallback through there.

> We could at least make these shenanigans harder by sending a
> legitimate-looking UA header
Yes

> and hitting a non-static page that
> answers some challenge rather than just saying "200 OK".

I don’t think that would help; the hotspots tend to use a whitelist of “don’t intercept” addresses (which is after all easier than completely faking even a static reply), so seeing an unmodified hotspot detection page does not say anything about other pages being modified.
   Mirek