Re: DNF vs YUM, $pkg, $pkg-mpi, $pkg-openmpi having same provides

On 11.06.2015 22:15, Susi Lehtola wrote:
On 06/11/2015 09:01 AM, Sandro Mani wrote:
So, whose fault is this? Packaging of dnf? Nothing relevant for this
caught my eye skimming through the packaging guidelines.

I think this is dnf's fault. YUm didn't have the same problem, since if multiple packages provided the necessary library, yum installed the one with the shortest name, so out of scotch and scotch-mpich it'd install scotch.

And related: trying to install some $pkg-openmpi package, I don't
generally see packages enforcing that the -openmpi version of some
dependency library is installed as opposed to just the regular libs
package. Should such requires need to be stated explicitly?

Yes, that's in the MPI guidelines. File bug reports on the packages.
How should one deal with a scenario like

gmsh: requires mmg3d
mmg3d: requires scotch

gmsh-openmpi: requires mmg3d
mmg3d: requires scotch -> but in this case it is actually ptscotch-openmpi which is desired, right?

Thanks,
Sandro