Re: Puppet 4

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 01:31:10PM +0000, John Florian wrote:
>> Personally I do so using a scheme like /opt/$VENDOR/$PRODUCT/$RELEASE,
>> but to my knowledge the FHS has never ratified anything like that.  The
>> FHS seems to take a rather vague stance on /opt overall IMHO.
>
> This is actually specifically addressed in FHS 3.0, released, actually,
> _just this week_. See
>
>   http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb/fhs-30
>
> and specifically
>
>   http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s13.html
>
> and the provider list:
>
>   http://www.lanana.org/lsbreg/providers/providers.txt
>
> which includes Fedora. (Credit to Tom and Toshio for working on this.)

Given the profound discrepancies between the FHS 3 and everything that
systemd touches, I'm afraid it's become a confusing guideline for
Fedora work. In particular, the insistence in sytemd of putting
mountable medie under "/run", and of migrating system-specific
conffigurations from "/etc" to "/run are at direct variance with even
that most recent FHS. So it's not going to be a complete or reliable
guideline.

Tools like RT, puppet, and chef that may be open source, but require
extensive internal modules and libraries that are incompatible with
other system components are prime examples of tools that benefit from
segregation from the rest of the environment.  I've taken a shot at
resolving the ruby gem dependencies of chef, and some Java integration
for puppet, and perl module librares for RT. It's a nightmare to
resolve the dependency hell: they're much safer to manage separately.