Re: fedup for F23 and beyond

Am 29.05.2015 um 18:39 schrieb Gerald B. Cox:
On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    ...our primary competitor is doing it in the near future...
    ...we cannot head towards a future where all of our applications are
    older than what Ubuntu is shipping...

I'm failing to connect the dots here... snappy is a different packaging
paradigm with some advantages
and disadvantages; but how exactly does it ensure that distributed
packages are newer?  Isn't that
a function of the packager?

it does not and yes it depends on the package, but hey it's "new and cool" while a recent and well maintained distribution with *one* cnrealized package management is the biggest benefit of a linux distribution

any thoughts throwing away this centralized and dependency based package management (even in parts) will do much more harm then not follow every recent buzz-thing *especially* in case of a distribution released every 6 months

all that talking about "competitors" is just FUD and nothing else to justify large changes for a unknown win - simple example: if i would care about ubuntu and gnome i would not use Fedora, frankly i switched to Linux in times Ubuntu was still the most famous distribution *because* i did not like to switch from Windows to a different OS with the slightest Windows touch at all and to say it frankly *because* i did not search a operating system many people are using *but* one which fits *my needs* and Fedora was that operating system

NOBODY needs Fedora to be similar to Ubuntu
REALLY NOBODY because otherwise we won't need more than one Linux distro