Re: /usr/share vs /usr/libexec

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015, Miloslav Trmač wrote:

now I'm curious.

Does it make more sense for these sort of scripts to live in
/usr/libexec, or in /usr/share?

/usr/libexec.  From (info standards):

`libexecdir'
    The directory for installing executable programs to be run by other
    programs rather than by users.

The thing that threw me is that I poked around in /usr/share and found this:

$ cat /bin/createrepo
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py "$@"

Given what you're saying, would this be considered a bug in createrepo?

Then we get into philosophical discussions about what is “the program” and what is “data used by the program”…  In this case, the /usr/share/createrepo/* paths are not a documented stable API (but /usr/bin/createrepo is), and Python programs consisting of multiple files are easier to run and develop if all the files are in the same directory, so this seems a reasonable way to do things.

Seems like a good match to put into libexec to me,

Paul