Re: /usr/share vs /usr/libexec

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>> I confess I've only seen /usr/libexec used for add-on utilities, but
>> now I'm curious.
>>
>> Does it make more sense for these sort of scripts to live in
>> /usr/libexec, or in /usr/share?
>
> /usr/libexec.  From (info standards):
>
>> `libexecdir'
>>     The directory for installing executable programs to be run by other
>>     programs rather than by users.

The thing that threw me is that I poked around in /usr/share and found this:

$ cat /bin/createrepo
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py "$@"

Given what you're saying, would this be considered a bug in createrepo?

There are a lot of Python files in /usr/share, but createrepo was one
that's the most obvious to me (simply shelling out to a file in
/usr/share). Similarly, there are a lot of executable files: (find
/usr/share/ -executable -type f) Are these all bugs?

- Ken