Re: dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

On 10/04/15 13:40, Jan Zelený wrote:

What we envision is for the admin not to debug the problem himself, it's not
his responsibility. Packaging problems should be discovered automatically when
an update is created. This is being worked on by Fedora QA IIUIC. Package
maintainers are the second line of defense, as they should resolve these
problems before updates go stable. But these issues should never get to the
end user.

The problem is this magical future world where packagers can't push an update that breaks things is just a pipe dream currently.

Right now the way packagers find out that somebody has broken a dependency is when yum barfs on an update. I had it happen just this week when somebody pushed a new major version of mozilla-fira-fonts in F21 that broke the dependencies in one of my packages.

Of course yum told me that and I was able to push an update for my package within about 24 hours of the breakage occurring.

In a dnf world I would have been none the wiser as things stand.

Personally I think doing what yum does with --skip-broken, where it does the update but tells you it had to skip some things, is probably the best compromise as a default, at least until the magic software gnomes create the future world where broken updates can't happen.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/