Re: Proposal to (formally/easily) allowing multiple versions of the same library installable

On 20 February 2015 at 16:54, Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/16/2015 04:17 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> I don't buy this argument wrt. Fedora.
>
> Fedora is a rapid moving, forward looking distro, in which such
> regressions should be fixed and not be worked around by compat-libs.

That rather assumes that the only use for Fedora libraries is running
programs that are part of Fedora rather than programs that a user
installs from elsewhere.  While this may be true, it's not necessarily
a good thing.

Andrew.

I'd also add that its not *regressions* that I was referring too. In fact for numerical work, a
change in compiler options, or compiler version is likely to change results - there is no assumption
of a bug being present.