Re: [Proposal] Ring-based Packaging Policies

On 02/17/2015 05:54 PM, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
Le mardi 17 février 2015 à 17:39 +0100, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :
On 02/17/2015 05:18 PM, Petr Pisar wrote:

Why not to create a new repository with reduced policy as
Stephen proposed with the one-way dependency rule (between current
Fedora and the new easy-for-beginners repository)?

Because this would establish a 2-class society, with double
standards standards and so on.

Also RH and other distros history repeatedly has told the lesson
such will not fly and are doomed to fail.

It seems to have been working just fine in RPMFusion, where the free
and nonfree repositories have different standards for inclusion, and
where packages in nonfree can depend on packages in free, but not the
other way.

RPMFusion working fine? Sorry, but I vehemently disagree with this.

Many of their packages are of low quality and their infrastructure is more dead than alive.

History doesn't seem to unambiguously prove what you think it does,
but then I guess you can always argue that those examples just haven't
failed yet. ;)

I am referring to "RHL + Powertools (?)" (A historic desaster) and many of these distro life cycle extending attempts (RHL had one I don't even recall the name; Recently SuSE's Everlast went down).

Ralf