Re: GUI applications writing garbage to stdout/stderr

Am 16.01.2015 um 10:50 schrieb Björn Persson:
Kevin Kofler wrote:
I'm with you, debugging spam needs to go away, GUI applications have
no business writing anything at all to the console, ever.

Except when they have really serious errors.

I once had an X problem that prevented Openoffice from working. It
showed no window, output nothing, and terminated immediately with an
exit code of zero. In other words it behaved just like the command
"true". That's going a bit too far.

(I wrote a bug report and was told that Openoffice was fixed to write
an error message and return an error code.)

that's why a graphical application with the ability to gibe out debug infos if started in a terminal has to have a -v or whatever parameter but just shut up in a normal call