Re: GUI applications writing garbage to stdout/stderr

Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 15.01.2015 um 00:36 schrieb Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:
> >> the real problem with that crap messages is that if you are about
> >> writing a longer command line and the in background mode started GUI
> >> app decides to blow out it's helpful messages they appear unasked in
> >> the middle of your input and so the only thing you can do is CTRL+C
> >> and hope the next try don't get interrupted again
> > ^L should work
>
> which clears also the screen

When a command line I'm typing gets garbled (which is in my case most
often caused by character encoding bugs), I press up and then down to
get it refreshed. That's not an argument for writing garbage to
terminals, but it's a better workaround than starting over and it
doesn't clear the screen. That's in Bash by the way. I haven't tried it
in other shells.

--
Björn Persson