Re: Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Richard Hughes  wrote:
>>
>> We're not filtering out packages that don't qualify as applications.
>> GNOME Software only searches the AppStream metadata
>

> Yes. My suggestion was to change that

How? What does this look like?

Call me clueless, but I think that totally defeats the major points
behind Software. It's an opt-in application, that shouldn't change or
it's going to make it ugly, incoherent, and pointless. The UX is
intentionally designed to show applications, not packages. And
certainly not conflate both by showing both side by side.

But to wholesale revert back to showing a pile of packages – no
thanks. There's already an application that does this, it's GNOME
Packages or use yum/dnf.

--
Chris Murphy