Re: Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

On 29/12/14 16:18, Richard Hughes wrote:
On 28 December 2014 at 15:48, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
wouldn't it raise questions about the Gnome Software application's role in
the workstation product?

I don't think it does, no. I'm a Red Hat employee, a Fedora user, but
also a GNOME developer. I'm not terribly keen pushing the tenet of
"GNOME Software doesn't show MATE applications when running in GNOME"
to "GNOME Software isn't suitable for Fedora Workstation".

Fair enough. But to me, adding "GNOME Software (GS) also cannot install compilers, interpreters and other CLI tools" creates a more problematic situation.

And even the MATE applications issue is actually *very* different when evaluated in a developer context. A developer is both more likely to be interested in using multiple desktops (testing) and also probably more capable of handling the complexity required.

Is GS intended to be a one size fits all solution for both "novice users" and the workstation target developer user? If so, I cannot really see how this could be handled reasonably unless there is explicit support for the different roles e. g., some kind of modes or so.

And if walking this path, the Workstation default mode would be the one corresponding to a developer, right?

Cheers!

--alec