Re: Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Your closing story, which I won't quote, was helpful. I'd argue it makes a good case for shielding the user from normal packages with GNOME Software, but I don't have a good answer for what happens when you really need to install a package that's not a graphical application (when did your users need to do this?), nor for proprietary or patent-encumbered software (which we probably need to accept will always be difficult).

The most recent example I can think of, is the youtube-dl script.

This just in: A friend had to use alsamixer to unmute a channel that got muted after an update and was not visible in sound settings.