Re: Other download options

On 10 Dec 2014, at 11:52, Jerry James wrote:

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Maros Zatko <mzatko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, there is netinstall in the Server variant, I suppose it's not the same as
Workstation one and (as a user) I'm getting pretty confused now :)

I'm getting kind of confused myself.  I want to grab an image to throw
onto an old machine for my kids to use.  I just want a desktop with a
web browser and a mail client.  Workstation isn't suitable; they
aren't developers (yet).  Server and Cloud are definitely right out.
I don't want a Live CD; I want to actually install.  (In the past,
installing from a Live CD left one with different defaults than an
install from DVD, so I've learned to avoid the Live CD.  Perhaps that
reflex is now wrong.)  I guess I could go with one of the spins, but I
don't see a GNOME spin anywhere.  Is there really no DVD image for a
generic GNOME desktop install?  Maybe I should make Kevin happy and
get the KDE spin. :-)

Actually, the KDE, Xfce, LXDE, and Mate spins all seem likely to fit
my use case, but I'm very surprised that there isn't a GNOME
equivalent.  Or is there?  If there is, I can't tell from the
information on getfedora.org.  What are we recommending for people who
want to install a generic "access the Internet" type of environment
for non-techies?  None of the products obviously address that
audience.

This issue has been addressed tangentially in the marathon "Workstation defaults to wide-open firewall" thread.

As best I can tell from Matthew Miller's responses there, Fedora has abandoned that portion of its previous user base that was using Fedora as a general, secure by default, Gnome desktop OS. Those users are no longer supported by any Fedora product.

I also am trying to figure out how I can use Fedora going forward to support general desktop requirements for SMB office workers, creative types and others who have heretofore been using Fedora as a general, secure by default, Gnome desktop OS. The only ideas I have come up with so far are:

• Install Fedora 20, update it, then fedup to "nonproduct" variant of Fedora 21; or

• Use the server net install to install a minimal system as a "nonproduct" variant of Fedora 21, and then install a long list of packages needed to convert it into a general desktop OS.

I have not yet tested and don't know how practical either of those ideas is.

My users are accustomed to Gnome, so I prefer not to change to one of the alternative desktop environment spins if there is an easy way forward with Gnome.

--
Mike Pinkerton