Re: "Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Am 09.12.2014 um 20:16 schrieb Robert Marcano:
On 12/09/2014 02:19 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 09.12.2014 um 19:45 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
Richard Hughes wrote:
So do I! I'm a developer, which spin do I use so that the firewall
doesn't get in my way? We can't develop a *product* based around what
you specifically want, not me, nor anyone else on this list.

If you're a developer, surely you know what a port is and can make a
few
clicks in firewall-config or system-config-firewall to open it! A
"developer" who can't even figure that out is a HORRIBLE developer!

Still waiting for that answer about the rygel use case. You'll see how
much of a HORRIBLE setup this can be...

wrong question

if there is a software which changes it's listening port randomly than
fix that broken by design software instead ruin the firewall

there is *no single* technical reason to chose a random port

I don't like the new default but I say that there are reasons for that.
Example: two simultaneous users on differente sessions want to share
music. The solution, define a port range for the default rygel
installation, and the firewall UI should know the ranges Rygel uses

fine, than we are on a defined range of saying around 10 ports
bad enough but a different story to 1024-65535 blindly

and the point: even that range has to be confiremd by the user

not everybody is using that software, i don't use it because i have "mediathomb" on a fixed port - so somebody should tell me *a single* reason why a random software is the excuse to poke holes in *my* default security