Re: "Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Am 08.12.2014 um 11:32 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
Am 08.12.2014 um 10:50 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
We don't need open or preconfigured high ports.

What we really need is a user notification with options to allow or
deny like we do with SELinux.

That would be a appropriate solution for a workstation.

No it wouldn't be, because users don't like being asked security questions

STOP THAT - you do NOT speak for "the users"

I do, when it's been researched that asking users security questions doesn't work.

you asked the right persons

the people i am working with in the meantime are trained to call me by phone in doubt if their computer asks something

you speak just for the careless part but they are already trained
monkeys click on "yes" and "OK", at least they are responsible for their
click

Yeah, that's so useful. "Oh, you clicked it, it's your fault". That's not
the type of OS I want to help implement, sorry.

open it by default and say "oh it's the applications fault" is the one you want to implement, i git that in your other response

for brand new PC users the sad in that attitude is they will never have
a chance raise their voice about it - if you are aksing the right users
in a survey you can always have the reulst you want

Because Internet surveys aren't biased. *eyeroll*

did i say that?

you have multiple type of users but you design a OS just for the careless

the rest is fine with think and answer a question of the OS and *after
that* repsonsible for his own decision - making the decision implicit
"we open that for you without asking" is dangerous and harmful

How can users make their own decisions and be responsible for their own
decisions when they don't know about firewall ports? Or firewalls? Or
TCP/IP? You're starting with the wrong preconceptions

THAN EDUCATE THEM INSTEAD GIVE UP

how can they learn about firewall ports of firewalls if they never got asked - how did i learn or the people i know?

ask a user a question and you have some options:

* he knows about it (not all users are clueless)
* he don't know but asks Google before click
  maybe he got more interested in the topic later
  frankly that's how i became an IT professional 12 years ago
* he clicks yes anyways

what you are doing is click "yes" for anybody and the expect that the knowledgeable people fix that wrong settings on each and every instance they install