Re: "Tick-tock" release cadence?

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think when developing goals for releases we look for conflicts and defer
> some things where there is a potential conflict. We'd want to make sure that
> desired goals eventually get done and not keep deferring the same goal
> repeatedly (because of conflicts).

I was originally all in favor of the tick-tock, but some of the
discussion and particularly the above quote changed my mind.
Prioritizing features (in the product or in releng) should be a part
of the Features process, and when conflicts arise they should be
handled. Tick-tock could be a part of the prioritization (e.g. we
favored the shiny new feature over the releng work last time, so we'll
delay the shiny new feature this time), but it doesn't have to be. Of
course that would also imply that we either hold all proposed features
for approval or denial in one fell swoop, or that we favor approving
features that get proposed earlier in the process.

Thanks,
BC

--
Ben Cotton