Re: Best way to use zram in Fedora 21?

Am 27.11.2014 um 11:15 schrieb Vratislav Podzimek:
On Wed, 2014-11-26 at 16:27 -0500, Corey Sheldon wrote:
Juan no need    inst.zram=on on install   on first boot   modprobe
zram ;  systemctl start zram    voila   I use the default one in f21b
no issues
For now. But the anaconda's zram.service is tailored to provide zram
swap for the installation process. Future changes in it may make it
unusable for general purpose usage on an installed system.

So packaging something general-purpose it definitely the right way to
go. Reindl's scripts look good to me, I'd just suggest adding a
configuration option for setting the maximum RAM for the zram swap being
created. It doesn't make much sense to use it on systems with e.g. 32
GiB of RAM. That's by the way one of the tweaks the anaconda's version
of the scripts+service has (hardcoded, though)

"my script" supports a "percent of total RAM config" which i don't ship with the RPM because it's meant for internal usage (it's BTW a result of Google around after face the zram module with new kernels, took existing snippets from several sources, made them easier, fixed some bugs and introduced the systemd-unit)

[root@mail-gw:~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/zram
FACTOR=15

"It doesn't make much sense to use it on systems with e.g. 32 GiB of RAM" depends on the context - on a host mostly used for a lot of virtual machines it makes sense even with 64 GB or more - depends on the total count of guests and how much RAM they have assigend

instead have zram on all of the guests and to prevent danger of OOM events they may have all 2-3 GB RAM and while overcommit the host that way it can swap out most unsed guest memory without fall back to slow disk swapping

VMware ESXi does something similar for years to overcommit hosts
http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.resourcemanagement.doc_41/managing_memory_resources/c_memory_compression.html