Re: PROPOSAL: Make AppData files mandatory for applications shown in the software center

Hello,

first of all sorry if I missed this earlier, I can't hardly cope with all mails received on devel. I tried to read them all when I can.
As the maintainer of these:

bacula-console-bat
bacula-traymonitor

I would suggest them to be removed from the software center, they are far from "being awesome".

First of all, they don't work without a specific infrastructure in place; they require a fully functional director, storage daemon and something to backup. All of this is configured only through the command line with additional packages not in the software center, and as all "enterprise software" requires a good time to master it.

Second, since the inception of the commercial Bacula Enterprise variant, the open source edition of these components has not seen a single commit in years, there is almost no change in the source except for the ones required to make it compile. All changes are now in the closed source commercial edition. This is not the case with the complicated server/client and command line based tools, which are regularly updated and receive new features.

Thanks & regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/