Re: bugzilla usage trends

On 10/11/2014 09:44 PM, John Reiser wrote:
>> bug velocity (increase in the bug number divided by the time
>> interval) over time
> That quotient is a scalar.  Please use "bug rate" instead of "bug
> velocity".Easy mnemonic: Velocity is a Vector, Speed is a Scalar.
> "Velocity" has multiple syllables and multiple coordinates, "speed"
> has one syllable and one coordinate.

As a physicist, I see your point but I believe you are mistaken in principle. Velocity is indeed a vector quantity, but it is a vector in the parameter space you are considering. In our 3D world, velocity vector is a time derivative of the 3D displacement. In the bugzilla case, the system variable is scalar, so velocity is a scalar too. Normally, speed is the absolute value of velocity---one has to work hard at teasing it out of simple-to-get velocity; in this case they just are the same.

'bug velocity' just rolled off the tongue, simply because 'bug' is monosylabic and it somehow created a nice 'foot'. 'bug speed' sound awkward to me, although I kind-of like 'bug rate'.

> [Irony: the original poster has an address @nist.gov (US National
> Institute of Standards and Technology), where they should know and
> appreciate the difference.]

Please don't mix my work in it. I don't speak for them, and they don't for me, especially on Fedora issues.