Re: Dash as default shell

The expected security improvement is essentially nonexistent.  In the current case of importing functions from the environment (and we could have a looong philosophical conversation about whether this is a vulnerability in bash or in its callers, where the likely outcome is “not a vulnerability in bash but by far easiest to fix in bash”)

Why would this be a philosophical discussion when there were clearly bugs in the parser allowing things it shouldn't even if you consider the use cases valid otherwise?
As I said in the snipped part, anyone able to submit arbitrary input to a shell can already cause it to do arbitrary things.  The parser bugs do not give the attacker anything they don’t already have, so they are not security-relevant.  So we are back to the philosophical discussion about where is the vulnerability in putting untrusted data into the environment.
     Mirek