Re: Is there another Java Mass Rebuild scheduled for Fedora 21?

On 09/23/2014 10:49 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
On 09/23/2014 04:41 PM, Robert Rati wrote:
I noticed that some updates to java packages have moved the jar file
locations or changed the jar name, which has broken symlinks in
dependent packages.  I know log4j12 changed the location of the jar and
org.eclipse.osgi_3.10.0.v20140731-1655.jar changed versions to
org.eclipse.osgi_3.10.0.v20140918-0803.jar.

For Equinox (org.eclipse.osgi_*.jar) you should use
/usr/share/java/eclipse/osgi.jar symlink, which is always up-to-date and
points to lib/ or lib64/ depending on system arch (noarch packages can
have symlinks to osgi.jar, but not org.eclipse.osgi_*.jar).

I didn't create the osgi.* symlink nor do I think my package directly depends upon it. It is likely a dep of a dep and may not really affect my package but could others that were built in the same timeframe as mine was last built. The broken symlink was created by xmvn-resolve. I've noticed that a current build is using a different link so something might have changed since the package was last built. I never set the dep or otherwise interacted with it. I'd bet there are other packages in the same boat.

For log4j12, I don't see any problem. Can you provide more details?

A bug was fixed in log4j12 that moved the jar from _jnidir to _javadir, thus breaking the symlinks in packages built before the change.

Is there a plan to do another mass rebuild of the java bits?  If not,
can we schedule one?

We're already after Alpha release, I don't think we can or should have
any mass rebuild. Instead we should focus on finding and fixing bugs in
individual packages.

The fix for me is easy as a simple rebuild fixes my problem. It doesn't help solve the problem for any other packages that might have the same problems or others dependencies that aren't affecting my package. The list of affected packages is potentially pretty long for these two issues so that's why I suggested a mass rebuild. Is there another option other than having all affected package maintainers inspect their packages and rebuild if necessary?

Rob