Re: systemd dependencies

On 2014-08-26, José Matos <jamatos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In my point of view the texlive split is similar to the perl-* or
> python-* packages.

The reason for the split is the same---upstream develops the texlive
classes independently in separate packages and publish them on CTAN.

The difference between TeX and Perl packages in Fedora is that
dependencies between Perl packages are manually reviewed and corrected
when needed (especially the fuzzy "weak" dependecies), while TeX
packages are generated automatically with incorrect dependencies taken
from upstream.

Therefore the Fedora TeX packages are hard to use. One need to give
love to the package maintenance. That's my opinion why fully automated
repackaging, as requested by some visionaries, will never provide good
results.  (Actually, Java SIG started to patch the upstream dependency
definitions but I don't how the changes are accepted by the upstream.
I had a bad experience regarding Perl upstream.)

-- Petr