Re: systemd dependencies

On 26. 8. 2014 at 14:55:34, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> >> Someone has to start somewhere. It is annoying to install several
> >> packages, when you expect that only one should be installed. And by
> >> coincidence, I met several of systemd dependencies during short period
> >> of time.
> >
> > What I am not getting: what's the point? I mean, systemd is not exactly
> > an optional package in Fedora.
> >
> > You are asking people to split their packages in two, but what's the
> > real reason for that? If the systemd package isn't optional anyway, why
> > is this the dep you start with and asking people to complicate things
> > for?
> >
> > Lennart
>
> Isn't it optional? I am using mock and can build probably every ruby
> package without *systemd* package installed into the build root (I am
> not speaking about *systemd-libs*). But once I install one of man,
> subversion or rsync packages, systemd is suddenly pulled in, why? Why it
> should be?

I have to agree with Vít here. Unnecessary dependencies are not something
anyone should be advocating, whatever the reason might be.

By the same logic you offer, systemd dependencies can be removed from all of
the mentioned packages, as it's safe to assume systemd is core part of the
system and will therefore be installed.

Thanks
Jan