Re: How quickly should we retire orphaned packages?

> As requested on this ticket, I'm opening this up for discussion.
> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1332
>
> There's a proposal to retire packages quite quickly (I think) after
> they are orphaned.  At the moment packages are retired once per
> release.  A notice is posted on devel list, see for example:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-August/188490.html
>
> The proposal is to change this to 4 weeks after the package is
> orphaned, assuming no maintainer picks up the package within that
> time.
>
> It's my belief that:
>
> (a) The reason for wanting packages to be retired so quickly has not
> been made clear by rel-eng.

*disclaimer: I'm not in Rel-Eng, just a mere packager*

I kinda understand their reasoning but if you don't find it clear, I
guess that many packagers don't too.

> (b) The biggest reason for people to use one distro over another is
> based on number of packages available to be installed.  By retiring
> packages more quickly we inevitably reduce this number thereby making
> Fedora less popular.

I would be less dramatic about that but you raised a serious issue here.

> (c) An orphaned package is not necessarily a risk ("security" has been
> mentioned here ...).  Just because it might be a risk on rare
> occasions doesn't mean we have to throw out every orphaned package.
> Security bugs can sit around in non-orphaned packages too.

You're right, but filtering packages that we could safely keep or not
would require manual filtering (though it could be partly automated)
We don't have enough manpower for that, unless a group wants to make a
counter-proposal, I don't see a better way to solve that issue.

> (d) 4 weeks is too short.  Some people go on holiday for this long.

I totally second that, this is too short in a community-driven project.

H.